I’m Daniella Levy, and there are two questions I hate getting asked: “What do you do?” and “Where are you from?”
…And you’re probably reading this precisely because you want the answers to those questions.
It’s okay. I won’t hold it against you.
What I Do
- I write stuff. I’m the author of By Light of Hidden Candles (Kasva Press, 2017) and Letters to Josep: An Introduction to Judaism (self-published, 2016), and my short fiction, articles, and poetry–in three languages–have been widely published in literary magazines, anthologies, and online platforms. I was nominated for a Pushcart Prize for one of those stories. I blog about Judaism and life in Israel at LetterstoJosep.com, and about resilience against the challenges of a creative life at RejectionSurvivalGuide.com. I also write content and marketing copy because sometimes it’s nice to… you know… get paid. More on my writing here.
- I translate materials from Hebrew to English, from literature to content and marketing. More on that here.
- I teach empowerment self-defense. More on that here.
- I offer religious premarital counseling to Jewish brides. More on that here.
- I do dishes. Lots of dishes. More of that at my kitchen sink. Bring your own sponge.
Where I’m From
I was born in NY, but the first home I remember was in Pittsburgh. I immigrated to Israel with my family as a child, and currently live at the edge of the Judean Desert with my husband, tour guide Rabbi Eitan Levy, and our three little boys.
Well, you may be wondering, if I don’t want to be asked about those things, what would I rather be asked? How about this:
What I Love
- My family and friends
- Judaism and the Torah (I’m an Orthodox Jew)
- Writing and reading
- History, particularly Jewish history, and particularly particularly Spanish Jewish history
- Languages (I’m fluent in English and Hebrew and more or less literate in Spanish, French, and… Catalan, of all useless languages. I blame Josep!)